Wednesday, May 25, 2005

AXIOM

Ever since I was a youngling back in Gambon, I have enjoyed the thrills and chills of the ol' corner nickelodean. By that I'm referring to, of course, the local multiplex. Actually, nickelodeans pre-dated movie theaters by thirty years. I'm not that old! ;) I saw the original Star Wars there at the Cinerama theater in Gambon (the one-screener long since obliterated), and I must admit that George Lucas has had me in his meaty grasp since those opening credits slinked up the screen exactly 28 years ago today! Now, fast forward - or, in DVD language, skip - to 11:46 p.m. at the Town & Country Cinema on May 18th, 2005, where I've been habitating for three weeks outside in my light blue sleeping bag to keep my #1 position in line:







(Photo of me taken by a Star Wars colleague, the #2 man in line.)

The electric anticipation mounts as the attendant steps aside and lets our line enter the lobby. Thinking ahead, I had pre-planned with the guy who was #2 in line after me that once the doors opened, I would head for the auditorium to grab the "sweet spot seats" while he would head toward concessions for popcorn and Sno-Caps. Us Star Wars fans have to help each other out! Anyway, needless to say that from the opening dog-fight sequence (stunning!) until the dramatic "rebirth" of Anakin as Darth Vader (a literal phoenix rising from the flames of hell) that my heart was in my sock! While not as satisfying as any of the first three films (first trilogy), Episode III was bounds ahead of the last two stinkers. Admittedly, it's hard not to get goosebumps at the thought of seeing even Episode I again on the big screen. But when I first saw it, it stank so bad I could hear all the toilets in the building flush simultaneously. (That's a joke, of course. Toilets on the other end of the theater could never have been heard above the THX auditory experience of duelling light-sabers!)


It will be a truly awesome experience to get the boxed set of all 6 films (plus unknown bonus DVDs) and be able to spend half a day watching them in succession. Sources tell me that the boxed set will definately be here in time for Christmas, maybe even by the time Thanksgiving rolls around. Needless to say, I will be first in line at Suncoast on the day of its release.

So, here we have my premiere blog post on what is going to be a truly galactic site. I owe it all to George Lucas: the man, the magic, and the money. Here's to you, George!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for maintaining this website. I was the original owner of the old Cinerama theater here in Gambon. I was very sad to see it go. The town just didn't have any more need for a one-screen once the multi-plex opened. Anyway, it pleases me to have a mention of the Cinerama immortalized on the "Star Wars Universe." Keep up the good work!